Sunday, June 20, 2021

Jinxed #2: Unleashed by Amy McCulloch

My name is Lacey, and I can't believe I spent the past month in a coma. I remember rescuing Jinx from Carter, but I don't remember anything after chasing my cat through some locked doors. Jinx. I now remember my baku is gone, but I'm still determined to find out what's happening at Moncha Corp. Luckily, my friends are talking to me again and are willing to help, but shockingly, I've been expelled from the Profectus elite academy. They say it's because I only have a level one beetle now instead of a required level three baku. I wish I could remember what happened after I saved Jinx, but I'm sure something else important happened behind those locked doors. It has something to do with Monica, the founder of Moncha, and her partner, Eric Smith, is up to something. He's planning to roll out a new update for bakus, but it can't be anything good. 


You must read the first book in the series. This book develops into more of a mystery, as Lacey tries to figure out what's going on at Moncha Corp. Some of the things I mentioned above were actually shared in more detail in book one, but Charlie has forgotten them now. Her memory returns, with the help of Jinx, but Eric Smith's update is the major conflict in this book. His deviousness and technical capabilities create uncertainty about which characters and bakus might have been corrupted. Lacey's relationship with Tobias is rekindled, but Lacey's best friend wonders if he can be trusted. The author includes phrases here and there that spread doubt around to various characters. However, I was surprised by a secret revealed by Lacey's main school nemesis. The fun part of the series is the bakus, as they're the robotic pets people have come to rely on. They're like personal computers/cellphones wrapped up in cute packages. (Except for Lacey's new beetle named Slick) Slick has a history with Lacey that began back in the first book, so their relationship is complicated. The two Jinx books are a fresh spin on science fiction and take technology to the "what if?" stage. Overall, I highly recommend these books for your reading pleasure. I don't know if there's going to be a third book, but the resolution of this one leaves the door open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.