Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Hazy Fables #2: Zombie, or Not to Be by Kyle Sullivan

My name is Edda, and my mom has been changed into a human! I don't know how this terrible thing happened, but my Aunt Agonista is behind it. She's replaced my mom as Lead Scientist, and all she cares about is making money. She's trying to get rid of the renewable resources in Deadmark, and she wants to go back to using fossil fuels. I don't know how she's convinced the elected council to go along with her ideas, but craving human brains can make them lose their focus. Most of the zombies in Deadmark seem to support Agonista, but I know I can count on my vampire friend Bram to help me. However, how can I get anyone to believe the truth about my aunt? And how did she change my mom into a human? 


I found this book randomly in my library's catalog. It flip-flops the world between zombies and humans. Okay, the zombies still eat human brains, but pollution, wasted resources, and global warming are destroying the earth. Most of the zombies believe in science, but Edda is experiencing a lapse in faith. She's doesn't trust following the scientific method anymore. The fun aspects of the plot are how it mirrors real-life concerns for saving the planet, and how the solution to all problems is based in science. Saving the environment is at the center of the conflict. There's also a movement promoting the humane treatment of humans, despite the zombies' natural, uncontrollable thirst for brains. The contrast between "serious" efforts to save Deadmark from Agonista with zany, zombie-life make the book entertaining. Now, if you don't have a tolerance for grossness and silly humor, you won't enjoy the book. Overall, the book amused me, although I can't say I highly recommend you read it. It will appeal to the right audience, so give it a shot if you think that applies to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments unrelated to the books being described will be removed.